• 3 large cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tsp. dried thyme
• ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
• 4 cups “no chicken broth” or vegetable broth
• 8 oz. whole-wheat penne (about 3 cups)
• 2 cups 1-inch cauliflower florets
• 2 cups 1-inch pieces peeled butternut squash
• Freshly ground pepper to taste
• ¼ cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add
garlic, thyme and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, for 1
minute. Add broth, penne, cauliflower and squash. Bring to a
boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a lively simmer and cook,
uncovered, until the pasta is tender and the liquid is thickened
and greatly reduced, 14 to 16 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, stir in pepper and let stand for 5 minutes.
Serve topped with cheese.